Monday, March 06, 2006

Today's strip: The mouths of Babes




I plug Howard Stern all the time because he is an iconoclast and a huge influence on my work. Another very big non-cartoon influence on my stuff is Henry Rollins. Henry was the last lead singer of the seminal LA punk band Black Flag. After the band broke up in 1986, he struck out on his own with "The Rollins Band". Many people know him from his big Mtv break-out hit; "Liar" (the video where he's painted red). I like his music, but the stuff I really like is his spoken word stuff. His spoken word shows are funny, heartbreaking, infuriating and always brutally honest. Through the years, he has put a lot of this stuff on cd. "Think Tank" is a good place to start. "SweatBox" is a great early cd, and a little harder to find. His recent "Talk is Cheap" series is brilliant. His books and cds are available from his site 21361.com or at Amazon, or you can download his cd's from the Itunes music store. It's life changing stuff. Well, at least it was for me.

4 comments:

John S. said...

The kids seem rather well adjusted by comparison, don't they? My wife started watching "Desperate Housewives" recently and I kind of got sucked in as well. Maybe I'm subconciously cribbing again.

Glad you're enjoying the strip, tara!
I'd plug Jello Biafra's spoken word stuff too, but I think he may be an aquired taste.

Steve said...

this one made me laugh out loud, really great =]

John S. said...

It seems that the sight of 2 little ducks playing with dildos has struck everyone else speechless. Have I gone too far?
Thanks Steve! Glad you liked it!

Mitchel Kennedy said...

Beautiful. =]